I spent yesterday with my friend planning our trip next month to England (I did mention that trip before, haven't I?). Anyway, it seems that everything is converging to ruin the trip. Here's the list so far of all the things that we either just missed or are just happening to make things go wrong. Back in February or March, we were trying to decide on whether or not to travel in September or October, and we chose September. The original itinerary was to land in Bristol, stay in Cardiff for a couple days, then go to Bath for a few days, then maybe down to Brighton or Southampton, then go to London for a week.
- About a month after we booked the reservations, the Doctor Who Experience announced it was closing its doors for the entire month of September and part of October, to renovate for the Twelfth Doctor. Sigh. This was the main reason to go to Cardiff, so we removed it off the list and decided to either go to Scotland or Paris. Sadly, we're stuck flying into Bristol (unless we want to pay nearly $1000 per ticket to change the flight) so if we do Scotland, we have to start in the south, train up to the north, then train back down to London.
- The last concert of the BBC Proms is Sept. 13. No way for us to be in either Swansea or London to catch that (not to mention we probably can't get tickets).
- Then I find information on Dimensions 2014, but it's in October. Double sigh. So close to meeting Peter Davison, and yet so far. :(
- Oh, did you know there's a new David Tennant movie coming out in the UK next month? Yeah, we're going to just miss it.
- Then there's that decision between going to Scotland or going to Paris. Well, we decided on Scotland, and we'll be in Edinburgh on the day of the Scottish Referendum vote. We were joking that we're going to be there during the New Scottish Revolution. (Though actually, it's rather exciting to be there on such a historic date. We're looking forward to it.)
- Of course, we're not going to Paris... and they're in the middle of a governmental upheaval. Apparently just the idea of the two of us coming to their country has thrown it into chaos.
- Lastly, one of the volcanoes in Iceland is about to blow its top. Iceland is directly on our flight path, as in, "Look at our flight path: it bisects the island!" This is actually the most serious part of the whole thing: the last time a volcano erupted in Iceland (Eyjafjallajokul), it closed down air traffic in Europe for a week. If that thing waits a week and a half to erupt, our holiday might get completely canceled. :(
So yes, we've come to the conclusion that our trip is cursed and everything that's coming into contact with us is doomed. FEAR US, EUROPE! We are coming to your shores, and bringing our bad karma with us!