If you've ever seen my AO3 or ffnet lists, you might notice that I have three collections of short stories - Calling the Doctor, A Teacher and a Housemaid, and Short Fiction. This is the way I created them on ffnet, because ffnet is really rather limited, and I followed suit on AO3. However, what I really should have done on AO3 is publish all of the stories separately and put them into series.
So, the question is, should I rearrange my AO3 archive and republish all the stories separately and put them into series the way they probably should have been?
- My archive will be better organized.
- It will display a better indication of how much I've actually written. This will add probably two pages onto my list.
- People will be better able to give feedback to individual stories. Right now, if you've kudoed one, you can never kudo again.
- I think that few people read the individual stories in the collections, because they look just like chapter updates.
- Future stories will be organized correctly.
- I actually write a lot of Martha, but you can't tell because they're all under one title.
- It's already set up this way. It's a lot of work to change it up.
- People who know my work might get confused about all the changes. (Granted, that's a tiny number of people.)
- I'll lose all of the comments that already exist on these stories.
- If I can't get the publishing dates set up correctly, my "recent" list will be spammed with old stuff.
- I'm afraid of change. :)
What do you think?